Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Thursday, October 05, 2006

How Was Your Weekend??

Each Monday, everyone asks how your weekend was. It's tempting to tell the truth, but we don't. My weekend was good, my weekend was great, didn't do much, my weekend was fine, and yours?
We live an uneventful life apparently. I am overhearing everyone talk about their weekends. One lady went to Estes Park, another spent the weekend boating with her family, another person was wine tasting, and one guy was mountain climbing. Those are the stories I overheard in my little cubbie, and I am still pondering what everyone else did and why I am surely the only one who ran errands, did laundry, and nit picked at my spouse all weekend. I imagine what I would like to say...
I was shopping in Aspen. I was eating pastries in France. I was river rafting. I went fine dining. I was in Vegas. I was horseback riding in the Norwegian wilderness. I was in Scotland with Sean Connery.
But then reality sets in. I realize the closest I am going to get to visiting Sean Connery in a Scottish castle is watching the Hunt for Red October, under the covers of my King sized bed. Shopping in Aspen is not an option, I won't pay $500 for a T-shirt. Fine dining with two kids? NO WAY. So nothing fancy, is usually what happens.
I wonder if I am not living my life right. Am I wasting time by not doing something grand each week? Am I missing out? I don't know. I'd like to be more adventurous and on the go. John would prefer to stay home and be a home-body. We are different in that respect. I am happy with a Sunday drive, but Sunday is football!!
There is that thought in the back of my mind, eating away at me, that maybe I need to get out more. Family picnics in the mountains, or trips to the museum. Maybe a weekend adventure to a nearby park or miniature golf course. It's quite obvious I won't be able to compete with some of the stories around here. Some of these people have too much time and money on their hands, and no kids. And I probably wouldn't really tell them what I did, but it would be nice to do more than what we normally do. I think the laundry can wait a day, the vacuum will be there tomorrow, the beds can me made later, and the slew of other must-do's will always be there.
Life is too short to just let it pass by without taking the time to enjoy the ones you love. I think this next weekend we'll plan something fun, free, and mind-expanding for the boys. And when I come in to work on Monday, and the one-upper's around here ask what I did, I'll say..."Not much, same old thing."
They will never have what I have, and maybe I'll just keep that to myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home