Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tales from the Laundry Room

Laundry is something I despise. With four people in my house, it is an uphill battle just to barely maintain it. Usually, if I manage to get all the laundry done (HA HA HA) there is still 4 baskets full that need to be dispersed and put away. There is always something dirty on the floor in my laundry room. If I get the pleasure of saying all my laundry is done, it's a complete and utter farce, there is always a stray, dirty sock, or cat-hair covered blanket. A random pair of underwear or stray pair of jeans that didn't make it in the last load. To add insult to injury, the washing machine destroyed my washable pudgy girl swimsuit. It is now a really stretchy, see-thru version of a swim suit, which is not overly appealing on pudgy girls.

My laundry room today, looks a bit like a tornado went thru a discount clothing store, or salvation army. There are small, medium, and large piles, of all sorts of dirty items. Shorts, shirts, jeans, towels, sheets, blankets, more towels, jammies, socks, jackets, and more towels. Where do you begin? These piles I have are what is left over from what I did not accomplish this weekend. For fun, I counted how many loads of laundry I did this weekend, not including what I did yesterday, or the towels I had to rewash due to them being used for a water spill, I did no less than 8 loads of laundry. This does not include the one or two I squeezed in on Friday night. Is this possible? How can 4 people wear all the clothes in the house, and use all the towels, blankets, jackets, and sheets in less than 4 days. These piles cannot be mixed up with the ironing 4 feet away, so it's a delicate balance of chaos in my laundry room, I don't want to re-wash the stuff I have to iron. I am thinking I need to take a day off work, just to get the ironing out of the way, that would eliminate half the confusion.

I also noticed the two shirts Joey did not want to wear last week, in the dirty pile. The child threw them on the floor, then in the laundry basket, even after I told him to fold them back up and put them away. Nick has a runny nose, so there are at least 3 towels with runny nose mess on them, and a blanket or two. This is one load of laundry, or maybe two, just in mishaps. This doesn't include the clean towels that John grabbed to clean up the water spill, which he promptly put back in the basket he took them from, not knowing this basket was full of clean items I had pulled from the dryer a few hours before.

So I wonder, what kind of laundry do single people have? Or even worse, what happens if you have 6 people in your household? I keep wondering if I should invest in the mega-washer and dryers they have at laundry mats, or maybe I need two washers and two dryers!
But, I am guessing no matter the size of my machines, the laundry will still pile up, and I will still be mad that I have to do it, and I'll still be agitated that it all has to be put away. None of it's very fun, and when John's wins the lotto, I am hiring someone to tackle it for me.