Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Full Circle


It’s funny how things in life can come full circle, you don’t even see it happening, it just happens.

My grandmother passed away 8 years ago on Monday the 19th and I have seemed to pick up where she left off. I’ll explain that.

She used to make aprons for us. My favorite and the one I wear at least once a week is my Porky Pig apron. It’s a simple bib apron with two pockets. I wear it to clean, to cook, when I am eating and wearing white, whenever I think I need it. For Christmas John bought me a sewing machine. I haven’t touched a sewing machine since High School, and it is coming back to me slowly, and I started by reading the directions, which is key, then stitching up a tear in Joey’s bed skirt, then a tear in John’s pants, then I made an apron.

I bought some fabric on clearance just to practice on, and it’s a cute blue daisy pattern, and as I am holding it up to myself, I thought, hey, I can make this into an apron! So I did just that! I did a simple waste apron, not the full bib style, but with two pockets, and for fun I sewed an old towel to the back of it. The towel has made this apron a full use apron! I can wipe my hands on it, dry off the counter and the dish in my hand all at the same time! What more can you ask for!

It took me a few hours on some Sunday afternoon, but when I was done and I put it on, all I could see in my mind was my grandma and the Porky Pig apron with matching pot holders. Here I was making a full circle back to where I had began, just older and now I am the one creating cute little items from my sewing machine, and ironically full of the same humbleness she had. It’s not very good, she’d say. Ironically, those same words came from my mouth a time or two.

I have come to find some strange joy and peace in turning on that machine and watching the needle go up and down and my mind has become a whirling tornado of grand ideas. Aprons, and curtains, pillows, and blankets, table clothes and napkins, what else is in store for that machine? What can I come up with next! I find myself thinking of fabrics that people I know would like, and if I have the patience and skill to try a quilt! I even went as far has having John order me fabric labels with my name on them that I can stitch to all my creations.

Although my heart fills with brief moments of sadness, because I miss my grandma very much, but I am also filled with a comforting happiness in knowing that maybe, just maybe she left me a bit of herself inside me.

Life has a funny way of coming full circle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home