Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Shoes hitting the ground Running!


I am trying to train again for my triathlon in August. So far I have had slow start.

I am focusing on my running, because I am terrible at it, so yesterday, I decide to go for a walk/jog. I walk about two blocks, then begin the jogging. I am not a fan of any sort of jogging or running. I hate it, I’m a “round” girl and all that weight running is a horrible burden for the body to bear.

But there I was, running down the street. Some good music playing in my ears, and I’m jogging, and I pass a quarter mile, and keep going, I get to the half mile point, and I keep going, I look forward the whole time, I keep going, I keep focusing far in front of me, and I can’t believe what I see in front of me…..the end of the street. That’s a mile. What? Is that really the end of the street, I keep running, I think to myself, I can do that. I can run to the end. I keep running, my legs are tight, my chest is burning, my eyes are focused on the end in front of me. I keep running, I just keep moving. I can’t stop at this point, my legs loosen, I think I almost sped up!

I hit the end of the street, at this point I am smiling, and I’m singing out loud, and I am beginning to cry. I get to the end, I cross the street and turn around and keep running, I run down the opposite side of the street, I keep going. I finally had to stop cause the tears in my eyes were causing me not to be able to focus on the road in front of me.

I am laughing, and crying, and cheering. I haven’t done that since probably Jr. High. We are talking nearly 20 years. Yeah, crazy that I am that old, but yeah. Nearly 20 years. I did it. I ran it, I didn’t stop, and I kept focusing ahead of me, no matter the pain, I just kept going. I saw the end and I knew I couldn’t stop.

I am not often proud of myself, and for this one moment, one the side of the road in my neighborhood, I’m crying and laughing, and I am proud of me! Proud of what I did and of what I know I can do!!

Of course, as I am giggling and wiping tears away, I pass an older gentleman with a border collie puppy. I stop, pet this sweet lovely little puppy, giggling the whole time. Poor man, he must of thought I was damaged! How do you explain to a stranger you just ran a mile for the first time in who knows how long, and now you are sobbing like an emotionally damaged bone head?

I walked a few more blocks, and started to jog again. I ran another quarter or mile or so, before the tears blinded my view again and I walked the rest of the way home.

This morning, I can still hear the sound of my breathing in my ears, and sound my shoes made hitting the ground. I can still feel the tension in my calves and feel the motion of my body in my muscles. I will do it again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home