Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fighting


I had my yearly physical yesterday, and all went well, but I was shocked to find out that my doctor has breast cancer. I learned that she is scheduled for a mastectomy next week, and that she’s been doing chemo, and she walked in with no hair, very gypsy looking scarf on her head, and I could look into her eyes and see her struggle. It really threw me emotionally, I don’t know why, it just did.

I instantly felt very hollow and saddened. I didn’t know what to say to her. Do you say to someone who is going through that, I’m sorry? Does that really cover what you should say to that person? How do you look at your 40 year old doctor and say, oh, I’m sorry. It’s like saying I’m glad it’s not me, but how are you?

It got me to thinking about how resistant we are to being personal and real with people. I wanted to hug her and tell her to keep fighting, but I didn’t, why didn’t I? As she is checking me out, she asked if I did the triathlon again this year, and yes, I did. And as I’m talking to her I realized that this is a woman who is fighting this disease, a woman who couldn’t run that tri on chemo, a woman who I knew who in some way maybe I helped by running the triathlon.

I began to think of all the little things in life that we take for granted. How we walk through our lives oblivious to those around us, to the simple things around us, to the joy that life brings, if we just stop for a moment and set aside our selfish desires, maybe we’d be happier within ourselves.

So, make a list. What simple things in life do you take for granted? What are some things today that you notice when you stop and look around?

Good friends
Laughter, love, and faith
The smell of brewing coffee
How soft my youngest son’s skin is
How big my oldest son suddenly is and the sounds of him getting his own breakfast
The way painting my nails makes me feel pretty
The smell of damp grass
The feel of the sun on my face first thing in the morning
Knowing each day is a new day
Blue skies
The feel of my husbands fingers on my skin
Clean sheets

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home