Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Moral Compass


Moral Compass……does that lead your life? Maybe I am getting older, more conservative, more spiritual, but I keep finding myself asking this question. Where is the moral compass of the people in this world? It’s no longer pointing the right way, it seems to be spinning out of control.

I was listening to the radio this morning and the DJ’s were going on about how Kate Gosselin turned down an offer to be in Play Boy, and I was saddened that they were chastising her for saying no to $400,000. They kept saying she was holding out for more money. Why would she say no, she’s hot, it wouldn’t hurt her reputation. I’m sorry, at what point is it ok for a mom of 8 small children to show her kids that selling her body is ok? It’s ok to tarnish her reputation with her kids, but not society? Money is not what should lead weather to take off your clothes or not. Your moral compass should. I instantly felt anger against them for her, she had every right to say, no, I’m a mom and I’m not going to tell my kids its ok for me to do this for money. Good for her, her moral compass was finally pointing the right direction.

Not too many years ago this never would have been an issue, but today, it seems that if you make a good moral decision, you are put down, you are made to feel wrong by making the right decision for you. It’s all the time. Look at Miss California, giving her opinions on being gay and she is horribly crucified in the media. Why? That is her moral opinion. We have become a nation of extremes, we have to except everyone for whatever decision they make, we call it being “Free”, but if it strays from a liberal point of view or what is deemed as political correctness, people chastise you. I may not approve of your behavior as a gay, but I don’t love you any less for the person you are.

I see the look on people’s faces when I say my kids go to private Christian schools. There is a moment of uncomfortable silence, like why would I do that? When you say, hey I went to a prayer meeting at my son’s school, they have a twisted look on their face. Yet these are the same people who don’t hesitate to shoot out there anti-God opinions to me and expect me to suck it up, the same people who tell me that prayer doesn’t belong in schools. Yet when I differ from what seems to be the norm, I get the look. You know that look, like what a joke she is, forcing her kids to go to private school, and pray to God? What? Give your kids a dress code, that is ridiculous. I know, I’m ridiculous for having my child have pride in themselves, their bodies, their minds and not what is on their bodies and who texted who. Kids sending naked pictures of themselves to their classmates. Children who have no regard or respect for their parents and grandparents or teachers, and their parents have gone weak to societies pressure to give in to the kids. Where is their moral compass?

I was walking through a grocery store with my youngest son and I watched two adult men kissing, not just a simple kiss either, it was full on, it was embarrassing for me, I flushed in color. But I would have done the same thing if I had seen two tongues mingling on a straight couple. It was a situation where I had no idea what to say to my son. Life is such a trying journey at times, why should I have to explain to my 3 year old what that was, way before his age? When did it become ok to scramble a half-born, baby’s brain, instead of letting it live? Yet when I say, this shouldn’t be happening, I get the plight of the mother speech. Hey, then keep your legs closed, if you can’t do that, did you try birth control or adoption, anything than taking the right to life away from a fully developed fetus. Where is her moral compass? I don’t envy the mom in that situation, I have friends who have been there and I feel nothing by compassion for them. Love the sinner, not the sin.

I think there is such a lack of respect for others, and we allow the government to say what we can and can’t do, instead of relying on our own internal instinct to judge what we deem as appropriate. Instead of relying on God’s word, we rely on our own selfish wants and desires to lead us. Where is the moral compass pointing?

I was talking with my oldest son and he asked me what divorce was. This was not anything he had any experience with, and he became worried that “when” his dad and I got divorced things would be different. And I sat there, realizing that this is the norm for the kids today and for some kids multiple times, and I looked at him and said your dad and I will never get a divorce, God put him and I here on earth to be together forever. And people have chastised me before about that, how can you say never? I can say never. I can look you in the face and say never and know it to my core. The most important first relationship your kids will ever see, is the one between you and your spouse and God, that is what they will base each relationship they ever have off of in the future. I plan on making mine the foundation of their lives, not a circumstance that they have to overcome.

Where is my moral compass? It has swayed, it has spun around in the past, but I can see it clearly now. Pointing straight at the road I need to take. It’s not an easy route, it’s lined with taunts and teases, painful stumbling blocks, by my eyes are focusing straight ahead. Don’t tell me I can’t make it, I know I can, God has opened the path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home