Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Pink Grandma

My dad is coming out from Florida the first weekend in November, and it has been almost a year since he was last out. As a matter of fact, a year on November 19th, he flew in on my due date with Nicholas. My dad is a florist. He loves to network, and keep busy, him and my step-mom are running 3 shops in the Fort Meyers, Florida area. So if anyone is interested in being a florist, let me know, I can hook you up with a guy I know who owns a shop right on the beach!
I am totally and completely a daddy's girl. There is no one quite as special to me as my dad. I miss him so much it hurts, but I swallow that down each day, and go about my life and try to forget that he is across the country from me. Thanks to cell phones, and email, we stay close, but it's still not the same as being able to get in the car and be 10 minutes away.
Joey is tickled that Grandpa Greg is flying out to see him. On a plane! In a short time, not a long time. He has to sleep like 10 ten times before Grandpa Greg get's here. And Friday is the day after Thursday, and that's when he'll be here, after the next week. He's got it down and I am sure he'll ask me each day if he can go get him at the airport and see the planes.
I don't know how as a grandparent I could be that far away from my grandkids and my own babies. I don't think that is a choice I could ever make. Joey and Nick, don't get to see my parents very often, my mom is in Virgina, and my dad is in Florida. So visits are few and far between. The boys have Grandma grandma, here, Pink Grandma, as Joey sometimes refers to her. And as plans have been made for my dad to come out, they have interfered with Pink Grandma's plans to take Joey and his cousin to a Special Place. She is not happy about that at all.
Last night, as I am thinking about this, being irritated, and down right mad, I thought to myself, she is the lucky one. There is no sharing, fighting, or squabbaling between the grandparents as to who get's the babies, this weekend, or the next. No fighting over holidays and birthdays. She can get him any time she wants, she can be at our door step in 20 minutes, any day of the week. 365 days a year, she has the opportunity to be with her grandbabies. Yes, I understand that this is the choice my family has made, to be in other states, but that makes them no less important than the ones who are right here. If anything, the visits they have are more special.
My dad and my mom, will not have the relationship my mother-in-law is blessed to have with my kids. She is truly lucky not to have to fight for affection, she is The Grandma to Joey. It's not Grandma Julie, it's Grandma. It's Grandma Sue, Grandpa Greg, Grandma Muffy. She is the one held is highest esteem by my son. She is the one in the position of honor. Unfortunately, I don't know if she see's that, and after yesterday, I am sure her feelings are hurt, and her plans are ruined, and it's another reason for me not to be her favorite person, so she definitley doesn't see her honored status.
So today, I'll swallow my pride, and call her, smooth the waters a bit, and try somehow to show to her how blessed she really is, and how she is the one who can see the boys 365 days a year, and for this brief 3 days, she needs to step aside, so my dad can have the opportunity to be Grandpa to his grandkids he misses the other 362 days a year.

It makes me think of my own selfish behaviors, and how I don't want to be that way, how I want to change myself. I have to make a phone call to her today, and set aside my irritation from the night before and be strong for my boys. As all of this is going thru my head, I get an email, one that I get everyday, called "Today's Word".....here's the prayer for today: God, I pray that You will help me focus on that one thing You want to me to accomplish today. Make me sensitive to the needs of the people You've placed in my life. In Jesus' name. Amen.
God is trying to tell me something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home