Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Clutter, Junk, and Organizational Disasters

I know, it's been some time since I have random-ized. But I haven't been at work much, due to the blizzards and the holidays. So here I am back at it, in full swing! Or something like that.
Every year the holidays create a ton of clutter and junk in our house. It's everywhere. Stacked on tables, couches, under beds, stuffed on shelves, desks, and counter tops. Everything is a clutter of new stuff, old stuff, good stuff, bad stuff, and what-was-I-thinking stuff. It's a organizational nightmare, and I am a freak about these things, so my patience in my house is running thin. My goal this year is to take the space I have and make it look like I have twice what I really do have. Not sure if this is attainable, but I'll give it a shot.
I am bound to end up at Wal-Mart buying every shape, size, and color of plastic container, some with drawers, some without, and I will stuff them to the brim with toys, clothes, ribbon and tissue paper, tools, shoes, and miscellaneous odds and ends, like the LED emergency lights we got for Christmas, and the cans of cat food still taped together from "Santa" to our cats.
I am bound to come across items I forgot about. I will come across items I have been missing and looking for and inevitably bought replacements for. I will clean out, throw away, and donate a gaggle of kids toys and clothes, much to the disappointment of my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law. I have a small house, I can't keep everything, besides, how many worn pairs of used pants can I possibly keep in my house? And the kids won't miss the stuff they haven't played with in over a year. If it has time to collect dust in my house and get buried by other toys, and if we forget we had it, someone else will probably get better use out of it. I am sharing the joy with others!!
I have run every idea I can think of thru my mind, to create more space in my house. From shelves to sheds. From containers to hanging baskets. I have thought of it all. Short of buying a new house, I will have to rely on the creative genius of Rubber Maid and Sauder's CHEAP do-it-yourself furniture. I will make the clutter and mass of stuff look like it has a place and it all fits. So what if I have wall to wall furniture and every empty nook, cranny, and sliver of space, has been filled with a Rubber Maid container, basket, or "organizational tool".
I do this every year, and this year will be no different. Hopefully, I'll be able to abandon many items at Goodwill, or donate them to a member of my family who really needs LED emergency lights, or a wood-framed calendar holder. I am sure someone needs the extremely cheap toy tool bench, or the 400 McDonald's Happy Meal toys.
So my creative organizational genius will be called into play, and hopefully, I can turn the hurricane of junk, into a manageable storm.
Happy New Year All!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home