Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Thinking about Kids

Typically Halloween in Colorado is always, cold, snowy, rainy, and sleety. This year it's expected to be extremely cold, but dry. That is impressive! I only remember a few Halloweens growing up where I didn't come home wet. Trick or treating in Colorado is an experience too....you have to find a costume your heavy winter coat will fit under. SO being a belly dancer or genie are usually out the question, any skin showing, usually freezes right off.
It's hard to work today, I am tired, and my muscles are sore from raking the yard, which was almost a wasted effort, it needs to be done again. I am fighting a small headache, and I have tons of work today. Really I want to be home, curled up in bed in front of the TV. Tonight is trick or treating at the church, and we'll probably hit the fire house across the street too. So there's not much time for a pity party.
I found out yesterday that Friday is a teach in-service day at the boys school, so I won't be going to work, which is fine, my dad flies in on Friday! BUT that still leaves work to do. The laundry is slowing getting done, the house is not a disaster area, but definitely needs TLC. I know he'll notice the top of my fridge, he is the only family member tall enough to see up there, so that is a priority in my kitchen.
John was at work so late last night that Joey thought for sure he wasn't coming home! He asked me why dad was not home, and then said, "I think he misses me." It is not normal for John to work late, so when he's not home, Joey notices instantly, and then that's all he asks about. Can we call him, when will he be home, how long will it be, is he coming home, why is he working late, will he have dinner with me, can I call him again? Joey is fortunate, dad is always there, no matter what. He is a constant in Joey and Nick's life.
And that makes me feel kind of bad for the kids out there with one parent, or with dads' and moms' who work all the time and never see them. Seems to me we all have our priorities out of whack. Now, I'm not going to say that I should be a stay at home mom, let's be realistic, but being with family should prioritize over many of the things we do. We see so many kids who are neglected and starved for attention, and the teachers a school call home and say, we think your kid has ADD. Do they really? Seems to me maybe we've created situations where the only way our kids get attention is by acting out.
Everyday on our way to school and work, I see a mom who walks her pre-teen daughter to school. There are usually a bunch of kids on the same sidewalk, going to the same location, but locked arm and arm each day is this mother and her daughter. Out of all the kids I see walking to school in the morning, she's the only mom I have seen with her child.
Maybe a walk to school isn't that important, but can you imagine what kind words, or inspirational stories, or even just listening to your child may do for their self-esteem, in that brief amount of time?
I am by far, not a perfect parent, and usually I am more frustrated, irritated, and impatient, than I am educational, inspirational, and loving. I want so much for my kids, but I notice, I put a lot of rocks on their path to success, than I do clearing them.
Food for thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home