Leslie's Random Thoughts

Life according to Leslie! Daily thoughts, and random stories about real life, and everyday issues, as seen through the eyes of an ordinary person.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have always enjoyed writing, and I used to keep a journal, but now that I have been married for 10 years, and have two kids, I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have come to realize, I have not been getting the outlet I need, so I began sending a random thought to my friends and family each morning. I have discovered new things about myself, my friends, my family, and about life!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Mom Extraordinaire has a Co-worker in Life

I have been busy lately and haven't had much time to actually quiet my mind and body long enough to come up with a random thought or two. So here it goes....
John has been sick the past week and I have had the pleasure of being a single parent. My heart goes out to the single parents out there, the second you have more kids than you do parents, life becomes more complicated. He spent most of his time the past week at work, on the couch, or in bed. I am sure there was a day or two that I or the kids didn't see him awake and conscience.
My days as a single mom started out the same way, getting up too early, getting two kids ready, and out the door to our respective places. However, it was the evenings that killed me. Leave work, pick-up two kids, get home with two whiny kids in tow, try to occupy them with a snack or some horribly annoying toy, while I manage to make dinner.
This is not an easy task. As you start to make dinner, both children whine uncontrollably, because they are starving. If they are not starving, they are just tired, and want all of your attention. So despite burning chicken, just a little, I managed to stumble thru.
Joey normally has a small attitude problem and usually keeps it in check when dad is present, however, when dad is M-I-A, Joey's control of his mouth, attitude, and general disapproval of everything I say, goes into high gear. Nick, of course, feeds off of his brother's need to push his limits, so not only do I have my hands full with Joey, I have Nick following along at top speed.
From feeding to bathing, to homework, to playtime, and bedtime. I was a woman on a mission. Keeping things in line with the kids, then on the other hand having laundry, dishes, and general clean up in constant mid-process. Talk about multi-tasking. While the kids were in the tub, I emptied the dishwasher, ran a load of laundry, and managed to wash their hair, and make Joey brush his teeth, all in a 15 minute span of time.
I have been tired before, but this week felt like each ounce of energy was squeezed dry, and I still had to keep going. It's my job. Mom extraordinaire right?
After what seemed like a week straight in bed, John actually was functioning enough last night to have dinner with us, and help out with the boys. Not only was I glad he felt better, but I was ecstatic to have even a smidgen of help.
I have been known to complain about my job as mom and the lack of help I get, but God has a strange way of letting you know what you really have. Without John, I would be a complete and utter mess. Not only is he my rock, my support, my husband, he's a great dad, and a good man. Even though he doesn't do things to my high standards, and I complain about his lack of attention to detail, he's still there for me, and the boys. Nothing made that more clear than the days I had to make it on my own.
Blessings come along in such strange ways. I got the message God, loud and clear. Thanks for sending me my co-worker in life, John.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home